Building a container house is a considerable task. It looks and sounds easy, however most of us look at the surface and the projected outcome. With less thought given to the quality of workmanship that goes into making a project of this nature an eye catching functional endeavor.
I personally felt that 320 sq. ft. was to small, I also felt that 8 feet was just too narrow for my liking. So, the option was to build a 640-square foot unit, using 2, 40-foot containers, and removing part of the interior walls of the two containers. Not knowing for sure where I would choose as the final resting place for the project, Having places in both southern and northern Arizona. I chose to make it in two sections to allow it to be un-bolted, then move it with a container moving truck.
Having prior welding experience and knowing the right people (Doug and Brenda) with container experience. Located here in metropolitan Phoenix. The project was set to move forward. Because of our knowledge we chose to use used containers and chose two quality containers for our project.
Using high cube straight that are wind and water tight is a must. In addition, there should be little to no damage. Any dents should be in areas that will be cut away during construction. It is a good sign if the doors are straight and open and close smoothly, and latch well.
Because these units will be separated and moved one side at a time, then be rejoined at a second site, we felt it wise to leave some of the inter walls for added strength
With 2, 12-foot openings, this allows for plenty of open space to prevent the cabin fever that can be part of a narrow container home. I feel it is very important to feel comfortable in our unit.
Picking straight strong container makes a huge difference in the way the inside will look at the end of the projects.
Thanks to the integrity in the way Doug and Brenda do their work, my floor plan is just what I was looking for
I am very happy with the way the containers fit together. We have less than 3/8 inch gap between the containers. This is very assuring, we will get a good weather seal with very little gasket material.
Now for the window and door openings. I chose a medium size window as the may wind up in a colder climate. Using a 4-ft. wide and 3-ft. tall windows all around, except for the bathroom. For this I chose a smaller window.
With all the openings cut, it’s time to frame the opening for the window and doors for installation Later in the project. We are using 3 x 2 square metal tubing for the framing of the openings.
Front and rear, now for sandblasting and painting
Before sandblasting and painting they can look rough
After sandblasting they look pretty ugly
Sandblasting makes it much easier to get a uniform paint job
Next we adding a sub-floor to aid with the pluming and drains
Finally we start to see more pleasent side of the project
Even though they will be bolted together it is wise to do a complete
paint job, to prevent Problems up the road
Although I have seen some very nice colorful paint schemes, I decided to play it safe
We chose not to add a rear door, and add more to the side entrance.
Now we wanted to add the pluming, so we could complete the bath room floor
|| Pharmaceutical Plan